Monday, November 10, 2008

Books

I have read a few more books that I thought I would like to share.

Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently I am reading "Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. The same author of "The Kite Runner". I just really love this book. It follows the lives of two woman living in Afghanistan. I am so shocked this stuff that the woman go through is real. I knew the laws for woman are very tight and stricked, but it is just heart braking to hear what their lives in tale. It is also interesting about how the Taliban came to play and how the power shifted to them. Afghanistan was in war with several Countries and rebels. Jihad. The Taliban was a welcome to the people at first. They came with the promise of "change". (We have all heard that word lately). The citizens welcomed them. A lot like how the Nazis came to power and how the citizens welcomed them at first and the as well came with the promise of "change". (So you see why I am scared to death of Obama, the "change" word and how he came to power in the United States. It parallels with the history.) Anyway, I am almost finished and I am just in love. The author tells a story that is detailed and I can picture these woman is such detail. He also uses Afghan words.


The Go Giver
I also just finished "The Go Giver" by Bob Burg and John David Mann. They did a fantastic job in making a business book into and enjoyable story that you can relate to and even more important....learn from. I can't stand business books, but really enjoyed reading this book. It teaches the five secrets to success. You can use these steps in your work as well as personal life. The “secret” is in the following five strategies. I sincerely hope you take the opportunity to spend an hour of your time and read this great book. Until you do:

1. Value: Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment
2. Compensation: Your compensation is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them
3. Influence: Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other peoples’ interests first
4. Authenticity: The most valuable thing you have to offer is yourself
5. Receptivity: The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving


The Virgin Suicides

I did an Audio Book of "The Virgin Suicides" by Jeffrey Eugenides. It is about the lives of an eclectic group of men who live in an affluent American suburb in the '70s are forever changed by their obsession with five doomed sisters. I do recommend it. I did get connected with the characters and I am dieing to see the movie!!

My next book will be "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. People who have read both....say that Kite Runner is better. If I am absolutely LOVING "Thousand Splendid Suns", I am sure "The Kite Runner" will be fantastic!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie, I love your taste in books. A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of the most amazing and most touching books I have ever read.

I also enjoyed reading the rest of your blog. I hope you have been doing well :)

Susie

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our little book! Being listed in the company of Kahled Hosseini is a pretty amazing thing — and I can't think of a greater compliment than to be lauded by someone who can't stand business books! Much appreciated.

Warm regards,

John

Jamie said...

John,

Thank you so much for commenting on my little blog. I really, truly loved your book.

I work at a hospitalist company (we staff programs for hospitals of internal medicine physicians.....then take care of everything for our doctors). Our CEO, Michael Gregory, MD read your book, out loud, to all of our program director physicians at a meeting. The responds was very positive and they asked for their own copy to share. Dr. Gregory turned around and purchased "The Go Giver" for all of his home office staff (over 60). Everyone I have spoken to about "The Go Giver", have all enjoyed this book and shared how a "value" helped them out so far.

Thank you so much for this wonderful book and making a story that the everyday person can understand, but most of all, relate to. Kudos to you and Bob Burg for a fantastic book!

-Jamie