Wednesday, December 16, 2009

#47 - Read 15 fiction books - Marley & Me


"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbols mean nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn’t care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his. It was really quite simple, and yet we humans, so much wiser and more sophisticated, have always had trouble figuring out what really counts and what does not." - John Grogan on Marley the dog.


I just finished Marley & Me by John Grogan. Holy water works with the eyes.

Marley & Me was a wonderful book. I smiled, I laughed, I cried and I learned so much and realized that a relationship with a dog is absolutely wonderful and can add so much joy and love to your life. A must read, but with a box of tissues!!

Another book I read awhile ago was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. GREAT book! Another must read. Especially for dog lovers. It was in the point of view of the dog, Enzo. Crazy, I know, but still worth every word. It was the first book after Twilight, that I found interesting and couldn't put down. To this day....I still talk to TiVO as if he knew what I was saying.

“In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog's master whispers into the dog's ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog's soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.

I learned that from a program on the National Geographic channel, so I believe it is true. Not all dogs return as men, they say; only those who are ready.

I am ready." Enzo, The Art of Racing in the Rain





Both of these books will yes, make you cry. But they will make you love life more and cherish the little things. Good or bad. They make you love your pets more and make them more apart of the family and your life....not to mention your heart. They make you feel grateful for the time you do have with man's best friend.

Go read both books and go adopt a best friend of your own. Arizona Animal Welfare League / SPCA is a great place to start!

No comments: